Wooden plaque given as gift to Barbara Schnell from her teacher, J.H. Breitenfeldt, in 1940. On back is printed : "To Barbara "Buttsie" From J.H. Breitenfeldt 1940."
|Collection||Schuette Biermann Farmhouse Collection|
Barbara was a student at the District No. 3 one-room schoolhouse, later referred to as Box Elder School. The school was also known as the Thieman school, after the family that originally owned the property. District No. 3 later became District No. 60 and in 1946, consolidated with other schools to create Community Consolidated District 59. The school was situated on Landmeier Road, just east of Arlington Heights Road. It existed on maps as early as 1861 and was demolished during the late 1950s.
According to Barbara, Mr. Breitenfeldt loved to play soccer with students during recess. He was described as being nice but could have a cranky personality. According to Jean and Irene (nee Scharringhausen), who were also students of Mr. Breitenfeldt during the 1930s, Mr Breitenfeldt would create his own school schedule, sometimes having Fridays off to allow him to work elsewhere or travel to Wisconsin.
|Source||Barbara Holtz (nee Schnell)|