Hardcover, clothbound school book originally belonging to Elsie Sharringhausen. Entitled, "New National Second Reader," by Charles J. Barnes. On first page, the following is handwritten in pencil, "Elsie Scharringhausen. Elk Grove. December 2, 1895."
|Collection||Schuette Biermann Farmhouse Collection|
|Notes||Elsie Scharringhausen, daughter of Fred and Mary (Pingel) Scharringhausen, was a student at the District No. 3 one-room schoolhouse, later referred to as Box Elder School. The school was situated on Landmeier Road, just east of Arlington Heights Road. It existed on maps as early as 1861 and was demolished in the late 1950s. After graduation at the age of 15, Elsie became the first organist of St. John Evangelical Church in Arlington Heights.|