|Object Name||Dress, Wedding|
Wedding dress worn by Wilma Wille for her marriage to Elmer Schoppe at St. John Lutheran Church in Elk Grove Township on May 29, 1943. Gown is comprised of two pieces: a floor length, ivory rayon-satin under slip and a long-sleeved embroidered tulle overlay. The gown features a sweetheart neckline with long sleeves that are not overly puffed at the shoulder. A series of 33 covered buttons (originally 34 but one button is missing) with 6 covered buttons at each wrist. Silk floss embroidered flowers are featured throughout tulle. Although the veil was separated from the gown at some point, pictures show that it was finger length and adorned with flowers at the headdress.
|Collection||Elk Grove Historical Museum|
Wilma, daughter of Conrad and Della (nee Mensching), was born on August 9, 1918. Wilma resided on the family farm in Section 25. After her marriage, Wilma moved with Elmer on his family's farm in Section 26 where they lived as predominantly grain farmers. Around 1956, Wilma and Elmer sold the property and relocated to Bartlett, Illinois.
The wedding was documented in the "News - Views" segment of The Chicago Daily News on June 19, 1943. The ceremony was performed by Reverend F.L. Gehrs and the reception was held in the large ballroom of Rand Fieldhouse in Des Plaines for the reception.