|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Description||Black and white photograph of the construction of the Queen of the Rosary school at the corner of Victoria Lane and Elk Grove Blvd, 1960.|
|Collection||Elk Grove Historical Museum|
Father Ward Morrison was sent from the Archdiocese to establish a new parish in Elk Grove Village in July of 1959. The Archdiocese had purchased 10 1/2 acres in a open field. Noticing the plethora of young families in the area, Father Morrison constructed a school first. Arrangements were made to have Sunday masses at the Higgins School located at Landmeier and Higgins Road. A convent with two class rooms was built and ready to use in December 1959.
In April of 1960, as the population grew, construction began for a church and school. By September of 1960, classes began in a new twelve-classroom building. The Loretta Chapel opened for services in October of 1960. Construction on the rectory began in the Fall of 1960. The church was dedicated on May 21, 1961 by Cardinal Albert Meyer. In 1963, approximately 1,000 students were enrolled at Queen of the Rosary. During the 1963 and 1964 school year, six mobile classrooms were added and dual enrollment with Grove Junior High began. The founding pastor, Father Morrison, retired on January 6, 1980.