|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
Black and white photographic of Higgins Junior High School Class of 1960.
Includes the following faculty members: Shirley Grosche, Alice Ekstrom, Patricia Cordes, Milton Case, Charles Chappelear (principal), Robert Beaupre, Mario Cordes, Phyllis Coston, Larry Goldberg, Mabel Hinneberg, LeRoy Jones, Barbara Larsen, Gerald Maroney, Marjorie Plambeck, Vervia Pratt, Anthony Rabattini, Lucille Schmidt, Mooneeyn Skallerup, John Tofano, Dorothea Winkler.
Top row student names: Nancy Adkins, Gary F. Altergott, Marion Beck, Sandra Behm, Faith Best, Linda Bettison, Corinne Blanchard, Lawrence F. Bleichroth, Kenneth Lee Bollmann, Edward Burditt, Allen M. Carson, Carol Christiansen, Catherine Ciolac, Ruth M. Clifford, Bruce Cosman, William Craddock, Barbara Dally.
Second row student names: Betty Dally, Thomas Dixon.
Third row student names: Linda Mary Domek, Darlene Loretta Dornbusch.
Fourth row student names: Patricia Jane Early, Edith Eickhof.
Fifth row student names: Beverly Emrich, Patricia Fessler.
Sixth row student names: Daniel V. Folkman, Sandra Fritchley, Charles Fyfe, Anacleto Garza, Thomas Gates, Igor Goloskewitsch, Lynne Elle Gorgius, Patricia Guritz, Donald Hejduk, Nancy R. Hammerstrom, Michael Herigodt, Wayne Herzog, Helen Hitzeman, Bonnie Hoover, Olga Howanski, Lonne Hutchings, Dale Jewell.
Seventh row student names: Linda Sue Jones, Marcia Jones, Allen Kapp, Arthur Kapp, Julie Kenning, Susan A. Keto, Dianna Mae Koenig, Richard Lee Koepke, Garron Wayne Kokai, Lee Kreider, Arlene Kriesse, Donna Lee Kuehnau, Joe Edward Lacina, Elizabeth Langston, Hector Lara, Charles Lemke.
Eighth row student names: John Liebich, Kenneth E. Markel, Victoria Martinez, Loretta McKinney, Gary McMullin, John A. Miller, Kathleen Mary Miller, Judith Mills, Geroge Mitenbuler, Michael Mortenson, Maria Muniz, Cathy Lee Nelsen, Roy Norling, Judy Marie Odom, Lynnea Olsen, Joseph O'Marro, Daniel Page.
Ninth row student names: Arturo Palomo, George Peknik, Phyllis Petersen, Nancy Pfeiffer, Alva Rue Powell, Bobby Ray, Susan Rorie, Daniel A. Rumowski, Antonio Salazar, Roy Salazar, Glenn Sandberg, Terry Lynn Schulze, Lu Verne Seifert, Carol Beth Smith, Robert Speer, Charles Strey, William Sundblad.
Tenth (bottom) row student names: Thurman Sutherland, Cheryl Tasche, Larry Taylor, Terry Ann Tolf, Edwin Tonne, Michael Totten, Karen Trierweiler, Jose Trujillo, Thomas Tucker, Paul Ukleja, John David Vickery, William Lewis Walker, Jerry Weinert, Connie Welker, Mary Wille, Carol Woronicz, Thomas Wuestenfeld.
|Collection||Schuette Biermann Farmhouse Collection|
Elk Grove Consolidated School, also known as Higgins School, was originally a one-room school located just west of the intersection of Higgins and Elmhurst Roads on property donated by Friedrich William Behrens. It was designated as Number 5 until 1902. In 1899, the wood frame school burned down and a new brick structure was erected in 1900. William Thiede was the teacher here for a total of five years from 1897 to 1903.
By 1925, the class enrollment increased which prompted the School Board, consisting of Alfred Landmeier, William Moellenkamp and John Schoo, to arrange for the sale of the current school building and property and construct a new, two-story brick building at a cost of about $30,000. It consisted of two classrooms on the second floor with a large first floor auditorium that could accommodate 300 people. The auditorium was rented out over the years for numerous wedding receptions and other social gatherings for this rural community. According to Elvera Landmeier Schultz, the old brick school building was sold and refurbished into numerous business enterprises over the years, including a tavern, and was torn down sometime in the 1990s. The new school was built on three acres of land bought from the same Behrens family; a short distance west of the old school site on Higgins Road. Upon the stone over the entrance were carved the words, "Elk Grove School". Mrs. Esther Duncan (Grades 5-8) and Mrs. Mildred Morris (Grades 1-4) were the teachers in 1925. The school dedication ceremony was conducted in early June 1926 as part of the ceremonies for the sixteen graduating eighth grade students attending one-room schools in Elk Grove Township (Districts 56, 58, 59, 60, 61).
In April 1946, a meeting was held to discuss the possible consolidation of four of the five one-room schools in Elk Grove Township: District 58 (closed since 1935) at Golf and Linnemann Roads, District 59, District 60 (called Box Elder School) at Arlington Heights and Landmeier Roads and District 61 (called Biesterfeld School) at Biesterfeld and Beisner Roads. At this time, Districts 58 and 60 began the consolidation process with District 59 and was completed in 1948. District 61 consolidated with District 59 a year later.
With the end of World War Two and the completion of the consolidation, the potential for student enrollment to grow at Higgins School accelerated. In February 1948, residents voted to build an addition of three rooms and an auditorium with remodeling of the current building at an approximate cost of $75,000. John Mecklenburg (whose wife was Emma Landmeier) was president of the now, Consolidated School District 59. Dedication ceremonies were held on May 6, 1949. Grades 3 to 8 were instructed in the new addition while grades 1 and 2 held classes in the old, two-room building. The auditorium was used as a recreation area. A portion of one classroom had a small library.
In November, 1951, a $110,000 bond referendum was passed to construct a four room, one story addition to the present school. In 1954, a referendum to increase tax rates for the education fund and building fund were both approved to deal with the current growth and future growth of the district.
Due to its location in what was becoming a very industrial and commercial area and its proximity to the planes landing at O'Hare airport, the school was closed in June of 1963. The maintenance costs and the fact that almost all the students had to be bussed to the school contributed to this decision as well. The 325 students were absorbed by three other schools including the relatively new Grove Junior High, which opened in 1960. The buildings and property were sold in July of 1964 for $212,000.
|Source||Found in collection|