|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
Black and white photograph of Durrell Everding with live animals at Storyland Amusement Park in Elk Grove VIllage, 1957.
|Collection||Elk Grove Historical Museum|
Storyland Park opened on May 1, 1957 at Higgins Road, York Road, and Touhy Avenue in Elk Grove Village by Durell Everding (who also owned Santa's Village), Shirley Taylor, George McIlvaine, and Ray Abney. They constructed exhibits with a Mother Goose fairy tale theme. The storybook figures and houses were constructed of plastic and concrete. Everding and Abney performed the heavy sculpturing work, Shirley Taylor did the painting, and McIlvaine, who worked during the week with his father in an electronic manufacturing business, was responsible for the mechanical work.
Historically, the Everding family owned a store (Everding's Store) on the same corner, which became the entrance to the park. In June of 1957, a deer named "Brownie" gave birth to triplets, adding to the parks' animal population which also included a cow weighing 125 pounds, ducks, and rabbits.
Among the amusement park rides were several mechanical storybook exhibits which were activated with a push of a button. At Red Riding Hood's house, a wolf popped out of the window and snapped his jaw. At another exhibit, a button prompted a cow to jump over the moon. Other mechanical operations included Moby Dick, which spouted water in the air.
In July of 1961, the owners of Storyland withdrew an application to relocate Storyland at Busse and Landmeier. The site was originally zoned for single family residential development, and the owners wished to change the zoning to B-5 general commercial district. The park closed at its original location sometime earlier in the same year.