|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Description||Black and white photograph of the Church of the Good Shepherd, located at the southeast corner of Ridge Avenue and Landmeier Road in Elk Grove Village, c. 1970.|
|Collection||Elk Grove Historical Museum|
Prior to the opening of the church building, worship services were held at Rupley Elementary school with Roy R. Winkelmann as the first pastor starting in 1958. The church was chartered in 1958 with an intial membership of 156. In 1959, a local theatre group known as Masque and Staff formed at The Church of the Good Shepherd by Shirley and Bob Johnson along with about a dozen of other church members. The name and logo originated from the use of a comedy/tragedy mask denoting theater and a shepherd's staff denoting the church.
Construction began for the new church building at the northeast corner of Ridge Avenue and Landmeier Road (301 Ridge Avenue) on October 30, 1960. At the time of construction, membership increased to 312.
Daily Herald article Nov 3, 1960
Listed in articles as Good Shepherd until October of 1971.