|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
Black and white photographic of Elk Grove Consolidated School Class of 1957.
Includes the following faculty members: Ernest Cavallo (Superintendent), Milton Case, Phyllis Coston, John DiGiovanni, Shirley Grosche, Mabel Hinneberg, Tony Kuzich, Anthony Rabattini, and Rodney Turner.
Top row student names: Kenneth Anderson, Robert Barzano, Starling Billings, Dennis Blakely, Delbert Blakely, Steven Bright, Marvin Byrkett, Patti Folkman, Oleh Goloskewitsch, James Griffith.
Second row student names: Thomas Heimsoth, Nancy Hejduk, Susan Horbus, Leona Jones.
Third row student names: Susan Kappa, Joan Klamer, Sharon Knaack, Lawrence Krause, Dierra Krieder, Lester Landmeier, Betty Malanik, Esperanza Mata.
Fourth row student names: Edward McCabe, Donald Miller, Timothy O'Gorman, Leslie Orlick, Jesse Ortiz, Jose Ortiz, Alice Ortiz, Armando Paloma, Theona Popp, Donald Reimer, Virginia Remedi.
Fifth (bottom) row student names: Donald Richeson, Diane Schulze, Kathy Sibilski, Richard Seitmann, Robert Swanson, Baldemar Jonsul, Harry Van Dyke, Andrew Widzisz, John Wille, Sally Wichman, Dale Woltors.
|Collection||Schuette Biermann Farmhouse Collection|
Elk Grove Consolidated School, also known as Higgins School, was originally a one-room school located just west of the intersection of Higgins and Elmhurst Roads on property donated by Friedrich William Behrens. It was designated as Number 5 until 1902. In 1899, the wood frame school burned down and a new brick structure was erected in 1900. William Thiede was the teacher here for a total of five years from 1897 to 1903.
By 1925, the class enrollment increased which prompted the School Board, consisting of Alfred Landmeier, William Moellenkamp and John Schoo, to arrange for the sale of the current school building and property and construct a new, two-story brick building at a cost of about $30,000. It consisted of two classrooms on the second floor with a large first floor auditorium that could accommodate 300 people. The auditorium was rented out over the years for numerous wedding receptions and other social gatherings for this rural community. According to Elvera Landmeier Schultz, the old brick school building was sold and refurbished into numerous business enterprises over the years, including a tavern, and was torn down sometime in the 1990s. The new school was built on three acres of land bought from the same Behrens family; a short distance west of the old school site on Higgins Road. Upon the stone over the entrance were carved the words, "Elk Grove School". Mrs. Esther Duncan (Grades 5-8) and Mrs. Mildred Morris (Grades 1-4) were the teachers in 1925. The school dedication ceremony was conducted in early June 1926 as part of the ceremonies for the sixteen graduating eighth grade students attending one-room schools in Elk Grove Township (Districts 56, 58, 59, 60, 61).
In April 1946, a meeting was held to discuss the possible consolidation of four of the five one-room schools in Elk Grove Township: District 58 (closed since 1935) at Golf and Linnemann Roads, District 59, District 60 (called Box Elder School) at Arlington Heights and Landmeier Roads and District 61 (called Biesterfeld School) at Biesterfeld and Beisner Roads. At this time, Districts 58 and 60 began the consolidation process with District 59 and was completed in 1948. District 61 consolidated with District 59 a year later.
With the end of World War Two and the completion of the consolidation, the potential for student enrollment to grow at Higgins School accelerated. In February 1948, residents voted to build an addition of three rooms and an auditorium with remodeling of the current building at an approximate cost of $75,000. John Mecklenburg (whose wife was Emma Landmeier) was president of the now, Consolidated School District 59. Dedication ceremonies were held on May 6, 1949. Grades 3 to 8 were instructed in the new addition while grades 1 and 2 held classes in the old, two-room building. The auditorium was used as a recreation area. A portion of one classroom had a small library.
In November, 1951, a $110,000 bond referendum was passed to construct a four room, one story addition to the present school. In 1954, a referendum to increase tax rates for the education fund and building fund were both approved to deal with the current growth and future growth of the district.
Due to its location in what was becoming a very industrial and commercial area and its proximity to the planes landing at O'Hare airport, the school was closed in June of 1963. The maintenance costs and the fact that almost all the students had to be bussed to the school contributed to this decision as well. The 325 students were absorbed by three other schools including the relatively new Grove Junior High, which opened in 1960. The buildings and property were sold in July of 1964 for $212,000.
|Source||Found in collection|