|Object Name||Print, Photographic|
|Description||Black and white photograph of the demolition of Fred Ollman's barn on the north side of Biesterfield Road to make way for the construction of Alexian Brothers Hospital (Alexian Brothers Medical Center), c. 1962.|
|Collection||an Elk Grove Historical Museum|
After living in Elk Grove Township since 1919, Fred and Carrie Ollman moved to a white farmhouse on the north side of Biesterfield Road, just east of the intersection of Beisner Road, in 1940. In the early 1960s, one of the Brothers from Alexian Brothers Hospital in Chicago informed the Ollman family that a new hospital was going to be built on their farm. The Ollman family had already sold the farm at the time they were approached. The outbuildings and barn were demolished around 1962 but the farmhouse remained for several years.
During 1963, the house served as a fundraising and planning office for the hospital as well as a field office for the hospital's architect. The Ladies Auxiliary raised funds by using the kitchen to make soup and sandwiches for the construction workers
Around 1970, the farmhouse served as the headquarters for the Elk Grove-Schaumburg Township Mental Health Center. In 1980, the headquarters moved to Rohlwing Road and is now known as the Kenneth Young Center. The house was then used as the chaplain's residence until 1996 when it was demolished.