|Scope & Content||
Grand opening flyer for the Park and Shop shopping center in Elk Grove Village, October 15 - 17, 1959.
Includes store coupons and information about prizes and festivities offered in conjunction with the grand opening. The Park and Shop was Elk Grove Village's first shopping center, located at the southeast corner of Arlington Heights Road and Higgins Road.
|Collection||Schuette Biermann Farmhouse Collection|
The first tenants located in the Park and Shop upon the grand opening were: Elk Grove Cleaners, Suburban Drugs Inc., Jarosch Bakery, IGA Foodliner, Elk Grove Currency Exchange, Elk Grove Best Hardware, Elk Grove Insurance Agency Inc., Elk Grove Optical Company, Elk Grove Beauty Salon, Hoffman's Shell Service, Elk Grove Barber Shop, Elk Grove Television Sales and Service, Centex Construction Company Inc., Elk Grove Water and Sewer Company, United States Postal Office, Elk Grove Medical and Dental Center.
Festivities included a treasure hunt for $5,000 cash with clues located in each of the stores. Prizes included the chance to win a private paddle island in Minnesota, landscaping, jewelry, and household items. Other entertainment included a clown-magician, gifts of candy and balloons and live turtles to children, and an appearance by radio personality, Josh Brady. All activities and entertainment were sponsored by the Elk Grove Merchant's Association.