|Scope & Content||
Postcard sent to Mr. Henry Schuette, postmarked January 22, 1909.
Front of postcard depicts a pink rose.
The handwritten message on the backside reads, "Kind friend. Yourself and sister are cordially invited to attend a birthday and surprise party on Miss Emma Biermann Sunday night Jan. 24 1909. Yours truly D.E. Storey. Please bring a cake along."
|Collection||Schuette Biermann Farmhouse Collection|
Elk Grove did not exist as a village until 1956. Historically, Elk Grove established its first post office depot service in 1837. The location itself would change from time to time depending on the postmaster and could even be in a personal household. Since the Village of Elk Grove did not exist, delivered mail for residents living in Elk Grove Township commonly bears an Itasca or Arlington Heights address, depending on the proximity of the residence to the nearest post office.
Henry Schuette's farmstead was situated on the east side of State Road (present day Arlington Heights Road) near Clearmont Drive. Due to the proximity of the farmstead to neighboring Itasca, and subsquently the Itasca Post Office, mail delivered to the Schuette home was designated with an Itasca address.