|Scope & Content||
Postcard sent to Mr. Henry Schuette, postmarked December 30, 1907
Front of postcard depicts an embossed image of a horseshoe with flowers and the printed message, "A Happy New Year."
No handwritten message on backside and no sender.
|Collection||Schuette Biermann Farmhouse Collection|
Elk Grove did not exist as a village until 1956. Historically, Elk Grove established its first post office depot service in 1837. The location itself would change from time to time depending on the postmaster and could even be in a personal household. Since the Village of Elk Grove did not exist, delivered mail for residents living in Elk Grove Township commonly bears an Itasca or Arlington Heights address, depending on the proximity of the residence to the nearest post office.
Henry Schuette's farmstead was situated on the east side of State Road (present day Arlington Heights Road) near Clearmont Drive. Due to the proximity of the farmstead to neighboring Itasca, and subsquently the Itasca Post Office, mail delivered to the Schuette home was designated with an Itasca address.