|Scope & Content||
Postcard sent to Mr. Henry Schuette Jr., postmarked May 10, 1909.
Front of postcard depicts an embossed image of two doves perched in a basket of violets framed by a heart with the printed message, "A happy birthday be yours."
The handwritten message on the backside reads, "May 9, 1909
Dear Henry; Congratulations for a bright and happy birthday with best wishes from your cousins, Mr. & Mrs. Wm Senne."
|Collection||Schuette Biermann Farmhouse Collection|
Elk Grove did not exist as a village until 1956. Historically, Elk Grove established its first post office depot service in 1837. The location itself would change from time to time depending on the postmaster and could even be in a personal household. Since the Village of Elk Grove did not exist, delivered mail for residents living in Elk Grove Township commonly bears an Itasca or Arlington Heights address, depending on the proximity of the residence to the nearest post office.
Henry Casper Schuette's farmstead, and subsequently Henry William Schuette's farmstead, was situated on the east side of State Road (present day Arlington Heights Road) near Clearmont Drive. Due to the proximity of the farmstead to neighboring Itasca, and subsquently the Itasca Post Office, mail delivered to the Schuette home was designated with an Itasca address.
Due to the postmark date and birthday greetings, this postcard was sent to Henry William Schuette, son of Henry Casper Schuette and Maria (nee Biermann) Schuette. Henry W. Schuette was born on May 9, 1871 in the farmhouse that now serves as the Elk Grove Historical Museum.