|Scope & Content||
Postcard sent to Henry Schuette. Postmark is illegible and is either 1903 or 1908. No message on backside.
Front of postcard depicts an image of a man falling out of a rowboat after attempting to shoot down a goose or duck.
|Collection||Schuette Biermann Farmhouse Collection|
Elk Grove did not exist as a village until 1956. Historically, Elk Grove established its first post office depot service in 1837. The location itself would change from time to time depending on the postmaster and could even be in a personal household. Since the Village of Elk Grove did not exist, delivered mail for residents living in Elk Grove Township commonly bears an Itasca or Arlington Heights address, depending on the proximity of the residence to the nearest post office.
Henry Casper Schuette's farmstead, and subsequently Henry William Schuette's farmstead, was situated on the east side of State Road (present day Arlington Heights Road) near Clearmont Drive. Due to the proximity of the farmstead to neighboring Itasca, and subsquently the Itasca Post Office, mail delivered to the Schuette home was designated with an Itasca address.
It is unknown if this postcard was sent to Henry Casper Schuette or Henry William Schuette.