|Scope & Content||
Postcard sent to Mr. Hy W. Schuette (Henry William Schuette), postmarked December 30. Year is illegible.
Front of postcard depicts an embossed image of a horn and clover framing a scroll with the printed message, "Wishing you A Happy New Year"
Handwritten message on backside reads, "Happy New Year. Mr. and Mrs. W.F. Mess"
|Collection||Schuette Biermann Farmhouse Collection|
Elk Grove did not exist as a village until 1956. Historically, Elk Grove established its first post office depot service in 1837. The location itself would change from time to time depending on the postmaster and could even be in a personal household. Since the Village of Elk Grove did not exist, delivered mail for residents living in Elk Grove Township commonly bears an Itasca or Arlington Heights address, depending on the proximity of the residence to the nearest post office.
Henry Casper Schuette's farmstead, and subsequently Henry William Schuette's farmstead, was situated on the east side of State Road (present day Arlington Heights Road) near Clearmont Drive. Due to the proximity of the farmstead to neighboring Itasca, and subsquently the Itasca Post Office, mail delivered to the Schuette home was designated with an Itasca address.
This postcard was sent to Henry William Schuette, son of Henry Casper Schuette and Maria (nee Biermann) Schuette. Henry W. Schuette was born on May 9, 1871 in the farmhouse that now serves as the Elk Grove Historical Museum. The senders, Mr. and Mrs. W.F. Mess refer to William F. Mess and his wife, Adelia (nee Piper). William was the son of Sophia (nee Schuette, sister to Henry William Schuette) and Henry H. Mess.